Lightning safety tips for you and your family | Families
From the National Weather Service:
Summer is the peak season for lightning-related deaths and injuries, though people are struck by lightning year-round.
The National Weather Service provides a wide range of information about lightning, including these facts and tips:
- No outdoor area is safe when you hear thunder.
- If you hear thunder, find a safe indoor shelter (a substantial building or enclosed, metal-topped vehicle with the windows up).
Indoor Safety Tips
- Stay off corded phones, computers, and other electrical equipment.
- Avoid plumbing, including sinks, baths, and faucets.
- Stay away from porches, windows, and doors.
- Never lie on concrete floors or lean against concrete walls.
Outdoor Safety Tips
No outdoor area is safe during a thunderstorm, but if you're caught outside with no safe shelter options, take these steps to reduce your risk of being struck by lightning:
- Come down from elevated areas.
- Never lie flat on the ground.
- Never shelter under an isolated tree.
- Never use a cliff or rocky overhang for shelter.
- Immediately get out and away from ponds, lakes, and other bodies of water.
- Stay away from objects that conduct electricity, such as wire fences.
Read some interesting myths and facts about lightning.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who brought Ben Wheeler back to life passes away
- Son who shot suspected burglar: 'I wasn't going to have my dad die in front of me'
- Investigators release identity of woman killed in house explosion
- Sheriff: Son shoots burglar to save father's life during stand-off
- Got your girl a gun for Christmas? ETX gun club is 'ladies only'
- Historic Landmarks Commission announces Jan. 2014 beautification awards
- Palestine police arrest two for counterfeiting, ID fraud, possession of meth
- Divorced couple at center of possible murder/attempted suicide case
- Wreck involving overturned big rig and SUV near Frankston
- ETX man killed in Oklahoma shooting was 'person of interest' in 2007 murder