Drought warning issued for Athens | News
ATHENS, TX (KLTV)- The City of Athens has issued a public notice announcing a drought notice and their Drought Contingency Plan.
The plan became effective on Monday, July 8 and asks residents to voluntarily conserve water and adhere to prescribed restrictions on certain water uses. Water customers of the Athens Municipal Water Authority and those that have city water are urged to follow the plan.
This initial step of the plan is described as "Stage 1- Mild Water Shortage Conditions". Residents with a street address ending in an even number are asked to voluntarily limit the watering of landscaped areas to even numbered days. Those with a street address ending in an odd number are requested to limit landscape watering to odd numbered days. Even numbered days are calendar dates ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8. Odd numbered days are those dates ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9.
All water customers are asked to irrigate landscape only between the hours of midnight and 10 a.m. on non-designated days. On designated watering days, residents can irrigate landscape between 8 p.m. and midnight.
Those with questions can visit the City of Athens website or contact the city at 903-675-5131.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who brought Ben Wheeler back to life passes away
- Son who shot suspected burglar: 'I wasn't going to have my dad die in front of me'
- Investigators release identity of woman killed in house explosion
- Sheriff: Son shoots burglar to save father's life during stand-off
- Got your girl a gun for Christmas? ETX gun club is 'ladies only'
- Historic Landmarks Commission announces Jan. 2014 beautification awards
- Palestine police arrest two for counterfeiting, ID fraud, possession of meth
- Divorced couple at center of possible murder/attempted suicide case
- Wreck involving overturned big rig and SUV near Frankston
- ETX man killed in Oklahoma shooting was 'person of interest' in 2007 murder