Cats: Do they make better pets than dogs? | News
There seems to be a very clear delineation between people who consider themselves "cat people" or "dog people." Sure, there are people who like both, but those folks might even have a favorite of the two, if asked.
Here are five reasons that convince us cats make great pets:
1. Cats are quiet. Even a very vocal cat isn't as loud as any dog tends to be. This is a good thing if you have close neighbors, for example in an apartment building or duplex.
2. Cats don't jump on your guests. No frightened visitors, no embarrassing guest-sniffing incidents. Cats, instead, tend to leave the room when a new person comes around, and might quietly slip out to investigate from a safe distance after your guest has been there for awhile.
3. Cats typically don't beg for table scraps, unless the cat owner has made the mistake of feeding from the table. Even then, the cat will hope for a scrap quietly, with no whining.
4. Cats can be left alone while you're at work without needing to be let out to potty. Just leave out plenty of food, water, and a clean litter box, and the cat is all set for a day or more.
5. Cats provide natural pest control; if you have a moth or lizard or mouse in your house, your cat will stalk it until it catches it. And no awful pesticide scent!
Now, we love dogs, too, and we tell you why in this article. You can decide for yourself which animal is best for you!
Here is a list of great places to get your next pet, whether dog or cat:
Pets Fur People, Tyler: 903-597-2471
Humane Society of North East Texas, Longview: 303 Enterprise Street - 903-297-2170
Henderson County Humane Society, Athens - 901 W. College - 903-677-7387
APET SPCA of Mineola - 657 CR 2840 - (903) 638-6902
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- TxDOT crews haul hundreds of tons of salt from ETX to help thaw DFW
- After months of controversy, Edgewood City Council takes action
- At least one person dead after motorcycle crash in Van Zandt County
- Video: Does aging equal giving up style, creativity?
- What's going on in East Texas this weekend? Nov. 8-10