Trinity Valley wins 6th National Championship | News
SALINA, KS (KLTV) - Behind 21 points from Keuna Flax the Trinity Valley Lady Cardinals have won their 6th NJCAA National Championship, defeating Hutchinson (KS) 69-55 in the title game.
TVCC finishes the year with a perfect 36-0 record.
The title comes at the heels of the year that started in tragedy, when former coach Kurt Budke and player Miranda Serna were killed in a plane crash.
Budke and Serna were instrumental in building the TVCC dynasty in the 1990's.
To top it off, before the game, the court at the Bicentennial Building in Salina, was renamed "Kurt Budke Court."
In a great twist of irony, the first team to win a title on the cour with his name, is the team and program he helped build.
*Copyright, KLTV 2012, All Rights Reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man who brought Ben Wheeler back to life passes away
- Son who shot suspected burglar: 'I wasn't going to have my dad die in front of me'
- Investigators release identity of woman killed in house explosion
- Sheriff: Son shoots burglar to save father's life during stand-off
- Got your girl a gun for Christmas? ETX gun club is 'ladies only'
- Historic Landmarks Commission announces Jan. 2014 beautification awards
- Palestine police arrest two for counterfeiting, ID fraud, possession of meth
- Divorced couple at center of possible murder/attempted suicide case
- Wreck involving overturned big rig and SUV near Frankston
- ETX man killed in Oklahoma shooting was 'person of interest' in 2007 murder